22 March, 2007

She wanted to do WHAT????

I didnt mention this before today...but it is begging to be said. First you know that I am a new mommy...and if you read dear mama you know that it is not the easiest thing for me. I suspect that I do suffer from a mild case of postpartum, but...thats neither here nor there. I have set the intention to overcome this, and it will be done. But my sister came over with two of her friends last week and one of them is a new mother also. Our children are about the same age. Well she asked me what was it like for me...(to be a mom) and I answered honestly. Its okay but its getting better. Its really challenging because I am a bit of a selfish person. What I meant by that was up until my pregnancy, I was focused solely on me and my life--(of course that state of mind is not a luxury I can afford nowadays-haha)--I mean I still do...but I htink of improving my life so that the life my son grows up in...is worthy of him. Well anyway...I didnt break it down like that because never before has a "mother" not understood what I meant, when I spoke of my difficulties. He answer when I asked her the same was "its fun!!! its easy!!!" Hmmm-must be nice! I must admit, I was jealous when I watched the ease with which she handled her daughter. The way they touched, the way she moved it was pure grace. It was natural for her. I felt really bad, maybe my son deserved better, but instead he got me! Oh well...I'll get it. He loves me. sigh Her daughter never cried not once...she literally entertained herself for like an hour!! Unheard of in my house. My son can talk to the angels and stare at the lights with the best of them...but when he is done with that...he wants human attention...and you WILL comply. Thats the way he has us trained, so thats the way it is. haha Well anyway when he cries I hold him, when he is upset..I try to console him. When he wants to talk and spit...I talk and become a spit catcher! I dont know what else to do. I dont "get" the whole let them cry thing...but I do suspect that I will get it the next time around! *wink..well anyway. I still feel fumbly sometimes when I pick him up, or bathe him, or dress him. Its not hard...just awkward for lack of a better word. Well anyway..fast forward to the next day...my sister calls me and tells me that her friend said she wanted to smack me...for what I said! I'm thinking it was all good, so I'm like what...I do remember her asking me in a smart ass way do I have a hard time getting a babysitter cuz he was so fussy? But I blew her off...cuz I think ht's just fine the way he is. And for her information...NO I dont! But anyway...she said it made her mad that I said it was not easy to switch gears. Now granted it was not hard for her, and that is obvious..jealous confirmed...so what is your point???? I was just so hurt that when I admitted something true about me...that it was perceived to be this big ugly thing...and not just a shortcoming that I have. And in reality its not that...its a learning experience. I tried to think mean things about her about how she has no job, living in her mans mama's basement, how he doesnt respect her, and was not even there for the birth. He doesnt even want to be with her...he just feels bad putting his baby mama out! Then I found out...that she is only 20! Now granted, there are some mature 20's...however, she is not one of them. Her good mother testimonies were that she matches all her little shoes to her outfits, and that her daughter drunk 8 oz. of milk at 2 months!! I realized that maybe our minds are different, while I do yearn for that intimacy that I saw between her and her daughter, for real, for real.. I am more focused on providing a life for my child. Allowing him to have a LIFE! And that spans waaay farther than what he is wearing today...I want him to have a loving household, support, encouragement, a great EXAMPLE in me and his dad, God-first and foremost, goals, good morals, be grounded healty self esteem. So knowing all this...why did her comment pierce my soul? I mean dont get me wrong...I wouldve beat that little girl down! But why did she get to me like that? Why did it hurt so bad? Why did I mentally attack her? And tear her down? Why did her opinion of me make me feel defensive enough to get offensive? Why is she NEVER welcome in my home again? And why did I give that heffa a picture of my son...I want it back!!

8 comments:

Sweet KeiKei said...

sometimes it's difficult to not let words get to you even if you do know otherwise.
i think a big part of it is that your ego is saying "this little beyotch has the NERVE to say this knowing she aint got her own ish together."
AND it's HER ego that searches and even speaks on whatever flaw she sees in you.
dont sweat that mess cuz you know what you're doing and where you're going.
xoxo

Keelah said...

Thank you so much! That made a lot of sense...I have been trying to put it out of my mind...but it really cut deep. But yeah...ego does try to tie up my mind and get me focusing on things that I DONT need to be.

Shai said...

Go UKD, sounds like lil sis is growing up. I agree with ya.

Shai said...

I have to add as a mom of an almost 17 year old, mothering ain't no exact science. Just like no one person is alike thus babies are the same. I get pissed when I hear someone say a baby is good or bad based on crying and the fuss factor. Give me a break.

As a new mom, I was bombarded with stuff. I had folks assuming I did not know anything about babies. I had to bite my tongue and times I had my say.

I can say this some of these "happy" moms are not happy. Yeah some women have it easier in one area and not another.

Just pray and let some of the comments go, even the negative ones to yourself. In the end, it is not what others think it how well your kid was taken care of.

Keelah said...

I know you are right, Shai...I guess its just that I DONT have experience with babies and I am second guessing myself a lot. And ALL of this free advice is a bit overwhelming. But I really wasnt expecting criticism on my parenting! I wouldn't think people would DO that! Criticize my driving...not my learning experiences...is that unrealistic?? haha

Keelah said...

I know you are right, Shai...I guess its just that I DONT have experience with babies and I am second guessing myself a lot. And ALL of this free advice is a bit overwhelming. But I really wasnt expecting criticism on my parenting! I wouldn't think people would DO that! Criticize my driving...not my learning experiences...is that unrealistic?? haha

Anonymous said...

Babygirl, motherhood and parenting didnt come with a handbook...the things you want for your son, the aspirations you have for a wonderful life for him, The love you have for him that leaps out of your post proves you are exactly what he needs! The closeness and intimacy you saw in her with her daughter is probably there with your son too...it just seems like you are lacking when in all actuality, you are probably wonderful! All babies are different! Your babies fussiness has nothing to do with you and what kind of mother you are...just as her babies ability to play and entertain has nothing to do with her mothering ability...the fact is that babies come here with their own personalities DAY 1. Keep being the good mommy you are! Dont ever doubt yourself....by the time you have you have your second baby, if you decide to do so, you will look back on this and laugh...matter of fact 2-3 weeks from now you will...You get better with time!

Keelah said...

Chokkk that was so sweet...Thank YOU! Sooo much! Hugs!