06 March, 2007

Making Change...One step at a time

Now I know this is gonna sound weird, but whenever I am at work and have to go the bathroom...I say this same phrase...EVERY time I walk into the stall. What I say is of no consequence...lol--cuz it is super embarassing but anyway. I just noticed a few weeks ago that saying this phrase is automatic and it is something that I ALWAYS do! Why? I have no clue. It has nothing to do with the bathroom, but anyway...I digress. This time when I went in I noticed myself about to say it again...and I stopped it. Why? There was no reason for me to say it. And then it occured to me...that THAT is how you make change!!!. One moment at a time. Now maybe there is more to me saying it than I think...but I have control over saying it. Where it was an automatic response to me entering the stall...I can now make a conscious decision on whether to say it or anything else at all!!! What is there to say, when youre about to go? lol I thought about how much of a creature of habit I really am. How many things go thru my head after being triggered by something that I see or do--everyday. One time, I caught my mind narrating what I was doing. I was in the kitchen cleaning the counter and washing the dishes and was telling myself what I was doing step by step. I wonder how often I really do that? How much of my precious energy is wasted telling ME what I'm doing? hmmm{pause to contemplate} lol ....Anyway back to the point. I realized that next time I go to the bathroom, I am going to pay attention and CHOOSE not to repeat this pointless phrase again. I will probably be tempted to, if I am not paying attention...but I will CHOOSE otherwise. This moment made me realize that change happens by CHOOSING differently...time and time again until you have removed or created a new habit. I dont introduce change into my routines very often. I take the same way to work and home. I get dressed in the same order of events. I am like a friggin machine. So Im thinking that just by what I just learned...that If I purposely mixed things up...it would probably get something unstuck. Could be wrong but that is my hypothesis. If instead of saying what I usually say...I could insert an affirmation on something that I want to become a part of my consciousness. Sounds like a GREAT idea! to me. So thats what I am going to do! Gonna be fun to see what changes I can insite in my life,..just by this one decision. I suspect it will be BIG! Wish me luck! *wink* Love, Always.

No comments: