13 April, 2007

I LOVE Aunt Jemima!

Aunt Jemima
Born into slavery in 1834, the plump, smiling, kerchief-wearing black woman was really Nancy Green. In 1893 she signed a lifetime contract and appeared in ads all over the world.However, her outdated and negative portrayal of an African-American woman offended many and in 1989, her image was updated by removing her kerchief, adding pearl earrings, a lace collar and slimmer look.

I remember an episode of "A Different World" where there was this whole "thing" about Aunt Jemima...I know that was used as a taunt for dark children back in the day...but I dont know. I kinda think she is fly the way she is...I mean she was born into slavery...and still mangaged to DO HER THING...lifetime contract??...what yall know bout lifetime contracts? I think she is AWESOME and I dont know that because a few black people are uncomfortable with the portrayal of her (which is actually HER image) is good enough reason to have changed it. I mean after all she is representing not our faces, but our POTENTIAL for GREATNESS! She was a slave who left a LEGACY. She is the first living trademark. She must have been so proud of her accomplishments. I think it would be wonderful to have a throwback of her original packaging...in RECOGNITION of her accomplishment. After all, she isnt a character...she is a WOMAN and definatley inspiring to me! I love you Auntie J!

4 comments:

Sweet KeiKei said...

wow...never knew all of that about auntie j. i do know that her syrup & pancakes are still better than anyone else's! i agree that we should be proud of her and what she actually looked like. that's like my grandkids tryna change my picture on something 50 years from now because i dont represent what they think is pretty.
thanks for sharing this wonderful and inspirational story!

Keelah said...

After I read that little tidbit...I had to do some digging. Come to fing out...she was a good cook, but it wasnt her recipe, but she was chosen to be the lifetime face of the product. And I think that is so awesome. No wonder she looked so happy. Lifetime???!! Thats the thing I cant get over...talking about job security! Would have felt better had they been her pancakes, but still, I'm sure for a woman born as a slave to get an opportunity like that...Once in a lifetime--FOR a lifetime! haha yeah I think im funny!

Tsiporah said...

I never knew that Auntie J was an actual person. Thanks for the info.

Anonymous said...

WOW, very insightful Kee...I never knew that about her! I agree with what you have said regarding her and us loving her just the way she is!!! She did her thing and we should have embraced her image and let folks know, she was a beautiful black woman who was doing her thang!!! Lifetime contract! WOW!!! that's really an accomplishment. Thanks for sharing that information!!!