14 January, 2008

The nicest thing EVER!!!

I have been pondering lately the breakdown of REAL face-to-face communication. And how it seems to be a lost art form. There are many ways in which this is evident, just take a look at ALL THE WAYS we can communicate. And the ways are ever increasing and expanding. I have been thinking that this trend is creating a very ungrounded population. I must admit, the thought of communicating with someone honestly face to face is something that intimidates me...but give me an instant messenger and I can express myself perfectly...the only real difference is the feeling of vulnerability is removed. I dont have to sacrifice the intimacy that comes with REAL LIFE CONNECTIONS. I have been craving connection like its oxygen. I am beginning to suspect it is MUCH more important than I give it credit for. Anyway...I was thinking that I want my children to grow up knowing their family...and since my childhood, we have all kinda dispersed. I mean we get together on random holidays, first births and I'm sure I'll see them at funerals, where we will all gather and speak the goodness of the person who we've not connected for years...but why it gotta be like that? Why cant we just really K.I.T?
I have two aunties...one of them was the "young" auntie, who listened to 80's hip hop and was the one I wanted to be, when I was younger. She was pretty, could cook and drove her 90 Cavalier Z24 with the radio FULL BLAST! I was SO pimped out shotgun! (of course now she is not remembering ANY of that!!! and she wishes those young kids would turn down their music) And my other aunt is the wise one. She is the one who is the 'healthiest' person I know. She knows home remedies and exactly what to do or say to bring you back down to earth. They have both been attempting to make contact with me lately. They come and visit my children and even brought groceries and home-made goodies for us! NOw this is A LOT! We dont talk much, but they are extending an invitation, and I am hesitant to take it. But in my heart I know I should...I mean they made me FOOD. And I fully understand what a personal and beautiful gesture that is. I mean for someone to offer you food they've cooked is nice, but for them to cook something with YOU in mind--almost brings tears to my eyes. It is so personal in this technical world. I feel loved, and worthy. Its beautiful. I think I'm going to grab that branch.

1 comment:

CreoleInDC said...

Girl...GRAB IT AND SEE IT THROUGH!