14 November, 2007

So..I'm more GHETTO than I knew!

I was blog-browsing today and came across a young ladies blog who had a list of common words that 'some people' read: ghetto, use that are pet peeves for her. And the first one on the list was hurted. Now mind you...when I saw that, my face scrunched up in a peculiar way..."What is wrong with that?", I wondered. Hurted is a word. Now I agreed with her on ChicaRgo...and ax instead of ask...but for the life of me I honestly believed that hurted was an acceptable word. I have used it for TWENTY EIGHT YEARS!!! If I smash my hand..."OUCH! THAT HURTED!" Or if describing some unspeakable pain in the past tense...I would be quick to say how much it hurted at the time. So tell me...how is it that I have come this far...without ANYONE ever pulling me to the side and letting me know that the past tense of hurt IS HURT??? I called my mom...EVEN SHE KNEW! So I cant even blame this one on her. I mean I had to check several online dictionaries, before my mind would even begin to accept that I could have been walking around, just WRONG for all these years. I did find it in one though, the URBAN DICTIONARY!!! Hahaha so while I am aware that I have a few ghetto tendencies...I had no idea that it was so deeply ingrained beyond my conscious awareness. I mean I know that when I 'occasionally' take a gallon of milk to the head...that I'm ghetto. But this one straight blindsided me! Like for real...I was in shock, then denial, then anger, then guilt...now acceptance. What the hayle??? That one hurted! (SEE that made so much sense to me) Digressing...That one Hurt. Know better...do better! Right? :D

8 comments:

Sweet KeiKei said...

Know better...do better! Right? :D


girl.... u are right on time cuz i definitely needed to read that line just now cuz i was on the verge of doing something that i should know better than to do....thanx keelah!!!

xoxoxo

*Tanyetta* said...

i love it :)

as long as you didn't say light skin-did
you alright in my book! LOL

*Tanyetta* said...

p.s. send me the link to that blog. who knows i'm probably guilty of using 'ghetto' words myself. LOL

Muze said...

omg i was cracking up at this. it irks me so much when people say hurted. lol. and even though i know they added conversate to the dictionary, it still makes me cringe when i hear it.

but today was the end-all. this guy on the sports radio said "no, that was my secondary point, you're saying my thirdary issue!"

i was ROLLING.

Afrodite said...

I never was a big fan of 'hurted' but I still use 'ax'. Oh well!

Keelah said...

Muze--now conversate bugs the mess out of me...but I SWEAR! I had no CLUE that hurted was not a word...and come to find out...EVERYONE in my world did! Even my man...and he makes up words ALL DAY LONG! lol

yummy411 said...

good one! hilarious!

@ muze: please tell me that you are lying? they did not add conversate to the dictionary??

Anonymous said...

I think "hurted" sounds cute - I've never heard of it before, but I like it. Language isn't constant and since it evolves, I think that "hurted" should be added.