25 July, 2007

Not again...

Me leaving my mamas house...on my way to..sigh WORK!

My mama peepin around the corner of her porch: They gone think we Jamaican mon!
Me: Why they gone think that? (knowing damn well what she talking about)
Her: Cuz of our hair.
Me: Well "they" should just think we are black! (irritated to no end!)

Me in the car talking to myself...who the hell is "they"?? And why did you grow your fro...if you're going to wear a wig every day? And why are you trying to put your insecurities about your hair on me? MO-THER!! Sigh! I am much too tired for this!

I have been natural for about 6 or 7 years...and for six or seven years I have had to hear my mom ask questions about my feelings about being nappy. And for 6 or 7 years...I have been happy bein nappy! There have been trials, tribulations, permed hair dreams, insecurities surfaced and surpassed. Ignorant comments, militant assumptions and lots of growth...but thats life right? Sigh...Why?

5 comments:

Valaria said...

You and your mom are so funny. I love how you can go "natural" and not have a problem with it. I say...as long as you are happy then go with it!

Muze said...

There have been trials, tribulations, permed hair dreams, insecurities surfaced and surpassed. Ignorant comments, militant assumptions and lots of growth...but thats life right? Sigh...Why?

amen. this is sooo true! but i guess that's with anything, like you said, such is life.

thanks for stopping by mi casa! come back now, ya hear? lol. and thanks for the link! returning the favor asap.

Shai said...

I have not had a perm in 3 years, yet I don't wear it out natural. I cover it with a wig or press it(very rarely) and/or add hairpieces. I was doing the zillions or kinky twists. I have comtemplated locs. I just don't feel the afro thing. It doesn't complement my face.

I love seeing women who look good with fros. Not everyone can pull it off.

I find it so ironic that so many Blacks have issues with natural hair. Yet, look up to the chemically treated styles.

MsJayy said...

I've been natural about 8 years & I think I've only considered going back to "the creamy crack" twice in the time. I don't get much of that "stuff" any more - the questions, comments, the looks. Do what makes you happy.

Keelah said...

Natural Muze-love your place will be there soon! thanks :)

Shai--I know what I have to do...I need to step up my hair game! For the first few years, I experimented with all types of looks and styles and colors...and products...but somewhere along the way I got lazy and that is leavin me open to being suspect. I got something for ALL THIS! :)

Ms Jayy and Val--yep gotta do what makes me happy! Acutally waking up and washing and air dry is the best...but I gotta get back on the ball--I am only susceptible to this madness...cuz I know I am not reppin like I should be. Thanks yall!