12 June, 2008

What do your children think about how you treat YOU?

"Children do not treat themselves the way you tell them to treat themselves," "They treat themselves the way you treat yourself."

This was such a powerfull thing to read in the AM. I believe this to be so true. I am a wonderer by nature. I enjoy 'enjoying' things, but you could not tell by my life. I sacrifice my enjoyment and pleasure all the time for things that 'someone' deems more important. I say someone, because I am SURE it is not in my nature to deny mySELF. Monica asked what was the first thing you let go of as gas prices rise and economic conditions change, and my answer was personal luxuries. WTF??? Seriously??
When I think about it, it makes absolutely NO SENSE at all. But this is how I operate. So I thought of where I could have gotten such a message and I have concluded, that it is another giftfrom mom. I am not blaming her. I know she did what she felt she had to. And unlike me, she was a single parent with two children, so there were probably times where she had no choice but to sacrifice certain elements of life, in order for us to have. but I am learning at a fast rate that that choice depletes your reserves and barely leaves you with enough to sustain a positive energy, never mind an ABUNDANT AND JOYFUL one. And besides, I am NOT my mom. I dont have to live everything I was introduced to growing up hook, line and sinker! And the last thing I want to do is inspire my children to put themselves last. I want my children to love, respect, value and honor themselves. An attitude like this will produce love and reverence for all of life and all the things in it! So that everyone they encounter will have to be as in love with life as they are, or they will not sustain in their presence. Is that a tall order? WE will see. I'm on it! ;)

1 comment:

Sweet KeiKei said...

this is a good point that i actually think of often. hopefully as i grow i can learn to treat myself better cuz right now it aint happening.