01 June, 2009

Just checkin

Does it mean because I deeply enjoy and appreciate breaks from my two lovely toddlers...that I raise ALONE...mean that I'm a selfish mom?

My mom told me that I am selfish...and must be losing my mothering instincts. Sharp tongue, harsh words.

They hurt me.

Not so much because of what she said...but her intent.

Once she let me "know bout myself", she thanked herself for 'correcting' me and moved along to something else. While she spoke, I reminded myself of who I was...

And continued to enjoy my hiatus! Hmph!

You can be fake all you want with your mumbo jumbo... not even you were in this predicament, so tell me how you REALLY feel. Silly rabbit! Guilt is for kids! LMAO!

**Side note, a caller at my job just took 2 minutes to tell me what a wonderful and helpful person I was. She complimented my ability to make her feel at ease and better about her situation. I am deeply thankful for this. Because this is my whole purpose for being alive! And customer service is something I take an usually great pride in. I love customers, and they love me! Gotta love healthy and fucntional relationships!**

Now can we get those a bit closer? too much too soon? okay...I am thankful!

:D

4 comments:

Nerd Girl said...

No ma'am - you are not selfish! I think that time for ourselves, doing what we want to do is essential to our happiness as human beings. I honestly don't understand those people who have to be up under/around someone else all the time - whether they married them, birthed them, or whatever.

I'm not single, but I play a single mom during the week (hubby drives trucks). When he walks through the door on Saturday mornings, I walk out. I've got to have "me" time and can get pretty miserable when I don't have it regularly.

Sounds like your mom maybe didn't have the option of "me" time and doesn't understand the need for it since it wasn't a realistic option for her? My mom (there are 4 of us) tells me all the time that she admires my insistence on time for myself and that she wishes she'd left us home with our dad more often and claimed some time for herself - she just never felt as though she could.

Enjoy your time - you deserve it!!!

Shai said...

It is not selfish. I think alot of women hold others to the old standards of motherhood. That we must totally sacrifice and never have "me-time" or we are bad moms. NOT!

I think your mom maybe be jealous of your quality time. Whatever her reasons, I am glad you did not let that get to you.

Keelah said...

Thanks, to the both of you!!

Cyn said...

Yay, for shaking off that guilt. You are not selfish, everyone needs an occasional break. Too bad I'm not closer or I would babysit. Cyn loves the kids.