14 December, 2006

Can you learn style?

I am style challenged...let me start off by saying that. I have never been that girl that looks great every day. Or most days. I look okay, but honestly I am not as pulled together as I would like to be. I must admit, I was one of those girls who used to envy (secretly hate on) girls who could pull it together with what seemed like sooo much ease. People who seemed to have style that "fit" intimidated me and just made me feel much worse about my situation, because I wondered why for the life of me could I not put myself together the way some seemed to do naturally. Now that I am a woman, I am no longer jealous of that quality, though I still want that...I am more aware that it is something that I can learn, but real style it seems comes from a working knowledge of who you are and what you really want. These are two questions that I ask myself frequently and still come up blank a lot of the time. I overheard a conversation today about a girl who didnt want to go to school because her hair was frizzy, and I thought that was the stupidest thing I had ever heard!!! I have went places with my hair blew out some days, and it didnt matter, so I assumed everyone felt that way. Then someone said that hair is important to girls and it got me to thinking about how many things that are considered...girl stuff that I missed the memo on. I mean I didnt grow up in a house where I had to 'look' a certain way. I mean I was harrassed for my chronic ponytail (which some considered lazy, but I like to call it my signature, *smile*), but for the most part it was okay to be how ever I wanted. Well I have finally come to a point in my life where it is not okay to just go out of the house any old kinda way. I dont have to look like a fashion magazine photo (cuz I cant afford that ish--secretly wish I could tho), but its time to really just go ahead a face my fears and do the damn thing. I just dont really know where to start. I mean anyone can buy the outfit on the mannequin, or thats in the catalogue, but I want to have a style that is unique to who I am. I want to unveil the new me for the New Year!!! I want to be so fly, and by fly I dont mean that other people think I am, but that I know that I am!

1 comment:

Tsiporah said...

Me: Hi, I am Tsiporah

Group: Hi Tsiporah

Me: I am a fashion disaster

Group: Welcome

You are not the only one with style issues. That was one of my New year's Resolutions as well...sigh